Büro KorneuburgGeschichte Korneuburg
BürocenterKulturGeschichte WerftBüros mietenLagerhallen Korneuburg WienNewsAnfahrtKontaktenglish version
Geschichte Werft Korneuburg


HISTORY OF THE KORNEUBURG SHIPYARD


DURING ITS 150 YEARS OF EXISTENCE, 1000 SHIPS WERE BUILT IN THE KORNEUBURG SHIPYARD AND ARE STILL OPERATING ON THE LARGE RIVERS AND SEAS OF THE WORLD.

Operations were once so comprehensive that this was the largest inland navigation shipyard in the world.
At its peak there were 2,000 employees. Operations ceased 17 years ago and the “Gymnasium Schiff” was the last to be built. It is still operating on the Danube to this day.

The Korneuburg shipyard was founded in 1852. The grounds of the shipyard encompassed an area of 12,000 m² and there were 60 employees..

The first slipway was erected in 1864, and further workshop buildings were constructed. At this time there were 180 employees.

Between 1938 and 1945 the shipyard was in corporate into the Hermann Göring Works, was declared to be of strategic military importance, and expanded to this end. As well as the considerable expansion of the shipbuilding facilities (extension of the island), personnel was also increased to around 1,300 employees.

The following ships were built during this time for the navy:
Schiffs-Werft Korneuburg 6 motor towboats Type N
7 motor towboats Type R
8 Black Sea Unit ships Type SME
3 wartime transport ships Type KT
60 tank cranes 1,000 t
12 goods cranes 1,000 t
30 tower structures for submarines
15 sternposts for submarines
8 marine barges Type MFP
34 landing flaps for MFP
                       

Following the occupation of Korneuburg
in 1945 the shipyard was placed under Soviet USIA administration, operations were continued, and ships were produced for Russia. In 1955 the shipyard was returned to the DDSG and construction began on ocean ships such as the “Perseus” and “Proteus”, each with a loading weight of 1,500t, which were deployed in the North Sea. In 1958 the shipyard grounds extended to 160,500m², of which around 22,000m² was developed. On 12 June 1959 the shipyard was separated from the DDSG and continued independently as the “Schiffswerft Korneuburg AG”. The shipyard harbor was 700m long and 100m wide at its widest point. In 1960 one of the most modern fishing and cooling ships was built for a Greek ship owner and shortly afterwards two large, modern passenger ships (“Amur” and “Dunja”) were delivered to the Soviet Union. Subsequently, the shipyard’s technicians developed the swimming luxury hotels “Wolga” and “Dnjepr”, which are still considered to be the most beautiful and elegant river passenger ships in Europe.

In 1965 the flagship “Theodor Körner” (pictured right) was handed over to the Austrian ship owner DDSG. The DDSG`s modern excursion ships “Austria” (built 1971) and “Wachau” (built 1975) were also built at the Korneuburg shipyard. 


In January 1989 there was a total of 653 employees at the Korneuburg shipyard. As well as a large number of passenger ships, swimming cranes of up to 350t, grain loaders with a capacity of 500t/h and crane loaders were also made at the shipyard. Ships were delivered to the following countries: Soviet Union, FRD, Greece, Ecuador, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Romania, Libya, Iraq, Indonesia, Lebanon, and to domestic customers. On 1 January 1991 the Korneuburg shipyard was privatized and closed in 1994.


The present-day settlement will recall the economic greatness of this glorious period with a spectacular project.